Established in 1884 and originally named Warwick Park, William Forrester purchased the property and renamed it Warwick Farm to match his initials.
He became one of the most successful trainers of his time and in 1889 he and Edwin Oatley were instrumental in the formation of the Warwick Farm Racing Club.
Early in the twentieth century the racecourse was owned by Edwin Oatley who died in 1920. His son, Cecil, was the Manager of the property for a number of years, until 1924.
Another son, Percy, was Secretary of the Warwick Farm Racing Club from 1906 until 1914.
During World War II, the racecourse was utilised as a camp by Australian, American and British armed forces. The camp was known as Camp Warwick and also HMS Golden Hind.