The Lions are looking to feature in their first grand final since 2004, when they face regular finals participants Geelong in a blockbuster encounter on Saturday night.
Brisbane Lions vs Geelong Cats free AFL tips, predictions and preview – These sides have met in one preliminary final, with Brisbane the victors.
Brisbane vs Geelong Tips
Brisbane vs Geelong Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Saturday October 17
⏰ Time: 7:40pm AEST
🏟 Stadium: Gabba
Brisbane vs Geelong 2020 Form
- R15: Brisbane 42-34 Collingwood
- R16: Brisbane 88-43 Gold Coast
- R17: Sydney 41-73 Brisbane
- R18: Brisbane 78-61 Carlton
- QF: Brisbane 69-54 Richmond
- R16: Geelong 108-42 Essendon
- R17: Geelong 31-57 Richmond
- R18: Sydney 63-69 Geelong
- QF: Port Adelaide 58-42 Geelong
- SF: Geelong 100-32 Collingwood
Brisbane vs Geelong Head to Head (last five matches)
Geelong have won nine of the last 10 matches against the Lions.
- R6 2020: Geelong 73-46 Brisbane
- R22 2019: Brisbane 75-74 Geelong
- R19 2018: Geelong 120-78 Brisbane
- R16 2017: Brisbane 78-163 Geelong
- R22 2016: Brisbane 69-129 Geelong
Brisbane vs Geelong Preview and Prediction
Brisbane enjoys a healthy weeks break after downing the reigning premiers in the Qualifying final. Whilst, Geelong demolished the Magpies in their semi-final match-up last week.
What the Lions did extremely well against the Tigers, was their ability to shut down their explosive handball chains, particularly on the wing. Similarly, against the Cats, they will have to be wary of the midfield depth that can break the line in the stoppages.
Charlie Cameron has the potential to blow the game open with his pace and x-factor in the forward half of the game. You can expect him to bag a couple of goals.
Coleman medallist, Tom Hawkins, poses a real threat in the Lions defensive half. Hawkins has kicked 20 goals in his last six games against the Lions and you can expect the Geelong forward 50 to be congested with Lions players wanting to outnumber the contests.
Meanwhile, Geelong ran over the top of Collingwood in a one-sided contest.
The Cat’s dominance was clear to see in every facet of the game. However, their disposal efficiency set the tone, going at 80.6%.
Patrick Dangerfield returned to his best form against Collingwood, having 19 disposals, eight score involvements, four goals and three clearances.
Geelong’s midfield depth will have to be utilised carefully by Chris Scott, with Brisbane possessing quality goal-scoring midfielders, something Geelong will have to limit if they are to win the match.
Although the Cats did win convincingly last week, I believe the extended break and home advantage will provide the goods for Chris Fagan’s men.
Brisbane vs Geelong Team News
Brisbane will only have one decision to make, whether they bring in Noah Answerth who has returned from injury.
Geelong barring any late mishaps will most likely head into Saturday unchanged.
The two sides last met in Round 6 which saw Geelong defeat the Lions by 27 points.
Lions vs Cats Stats
- Tom Hawkins has kicked 20 goals in his last six matches against the Lions
- The home team has won seven of the past 10 H2H’s
- These sides have met in one preliminary final, with Brisbane the victors
- Brisbane haven’t lost at home this season
Lions vs Cats Best Bet