The traditional ANZAC Day clash between traditional rivals Collingwood and Essendon never disappoints with some tight and controversial games in recent years. Both teams will be as hungry as ever as they search for their second win of the season.
Collingwood vs Essendon Tips, Preview & Predictions
Collingwood Magpies vs Essendon Bombers free AFL tips, predictions and preview – Collingwood have won five of the last six ANZAC Day matches.
Collingwood vs Essendon Tips
Collingwood vs Essendon Same Game Multi Tips
VALUE BET 💰
- To get 15+ disposals Devon Smith $1.28
- To get 20+ disposals Brodie Grundy $1.83
- To get 20+ disposals Dyson Heppell $1.25
- To get 25+ disposals Scott Pendlebury $1.72
- To get 30+ disposals Jack Crisp $2.10
- To get 30+ disposals Zach Merrett $1.72
- To kick 2+ goals Brody Mihocek $1.33
- To kick 2+ goals Cale Hooker $1.22
- Anytime goalscorer Harrison Jones $2
Collingwood vs Essendon Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Sunday April 24
⏰ Time: 3:20pm AEDT
🏟 Stadium: MCG
Collingwood vs Essendon 2021 Form
- RD 1: Collingwood 53-69 Western Bulldogs
- RD 2: Carlton 85-106 Collingwood
- RD 3: Collingwood 72-73 Brisbane
- RD 4: Collingwood 60-90 GWS
- RD 5: West Coast 103-76 Collingwood
- RD 1: Essendon 91-92 Hawthorn
- RD 2: Port Adelaide 119-65 Essendon
- RD 3: Essendon 143-68 St Kilda
- RD 4: Sydney 83-80 Essendon
- RD 5: Brisbane 102-45 Essendon
Collingwood vs Essendon Head to Head (last five matches)
- R5 2020: Magpies 48-63 Bombers
- R23 2019: Magpies 76-65 Bombers
- R6 2019: Bombers 69-73 Magpies
- R16 2018: Bombers 62-78 Magpies
- R5 2018: Magpies 101-52 Bombers
Collingwood vs Essendon Preview
This will be the 26th instalment of the ANZAC Day match between these two great sides, with the ledger sitting at 15 wins for Collingwood, nine for the Bombers and one draw.
The Magpies will be disheartened with their five-goal loss to the Eagles last week, which now leaves them with a huge task to progress into a finals position at the end of the season.
It will be interesting to see whether Nathan Buckley will persist with Darcy Moore in the forward line considering the hamstring injury to Jeremy Howe, which could see him out for three to four weeks.
Howe’s injury wasn’t the only costly injury to come out of the match against West Coast. Jordan De Goey and Levi Greenwood will also miss with injuries, whilst Mark Keane will miss with a suspension for tripping Josh Kennedy.
However, both sides will be without their best intercept players for this clash, Howe for the Magpies and Jordan Ridley for the Bombers, so you might be able to see a more open and high scoring match than previous ties between these teams.
Similarly, the Bombers suffered a large concerning loss against premiership contenders Brisbane in wet conditions, which saw them drop to 14th.
There were high hopes for an optimistic win against the Lions at the Gabba after two impressive displays against St Kilda and Sydney, but it wasn’t to be, with their handball heavy game letting them down.
The Bombers have produced the youngest side in the competition for every match this season, and you know they’ll bring the heat and flair in their first-ever match in front of 75,000 fans.
Essendon is currently the second-worst clearance team in the competition. Although, they are missing Dylan Shiel, Jye Caldwell and Sam Draper. However, they will have to limit the influence of Brodie Grundy, who could be the difference in the middle of the park.
It has the makings to be another entertaining clash between these two sides on ANZAC Day, with both teams being undermanned. I believe the Magpies could reign supreme, but the Bombers are definitely not out of this one if they bring the heat and play their blue-collar footy.
Magpies vs Bombers Team News
Collingwood will be forced to make four changes with injuries to Levi Greenwood, Jordan De Goey and Jeremy Howe, and a suspension for Mark Keane against the Eagles. Will Hoskin Elliott and Brayden Sier are likely inclusions.
The Bombers will have to make one change, with Jordan Ridley suffering a concussion against the Lions. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher will be the likely replacement after perhaps harshly getting omitted last week.
The two sides last met in Round 5 last season which saw the Bombers win by 15 points.
Magpies vs Bombers Stats
- Collingwood have won five of the last six ANZAC Day matches
- The last three matches have been decided by 15 points or less
- Collingwood has covered the line in four of their last five day matches at the MCG
- Cale Hooker has kicked 16 goals this season
- Brodie Grundy averages 19 disposals a match
Magpies vs Bombers Best Bet