This is a huge match-up for the Demons who need to win this fixture to maintain their slim chances of finals football this season, but Essendon will be keen to spoil the party.
Essendon Bombers vs Melbourne Demons free AFL tips, predictions and preview – The Bombers have scored less than 50 points in four of their past nine matches.
Essendon vs Melbourne Tips
Essendon vs Melbourne Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Saturday September 19
⏰ Time: 2:10pm AEST
🏟 Stadium: Metricon Stadium
Essendon vs Melbourne 2020 Form
- R13: Essendon 61-73 Richmond
- R14: Hawthorn 71-87 Essendon
- R15: West Coast 60-45 Essendon
- R16: Geelong 108-42 Essendon
- R17: Port Adelaide 79-29 Essendon
- R13: Western Bulldogs 80-52 Melbourne
- R14: Melbourne 52-49 St Kilda
- R15: Sydney 67-46 Melbourne
- R16: Melbourne 33-47 Fremantle
- R17: GWS 74-79 Melbourne
Essendon vs Melbourne Head to Head (last five matches)
Essendon have won three of the last five matches against the Demons.
- R3 2019: Melbourne 112-130 Essendon
- R6 2018: Essendon 72-108 Melbourne
- R6 2017: Essendon 74-112 Melbourne
- R2 2016: Essendon 80-67 Melbourne
- R15 2015: Essendon 69-60 Melbourne
Essendon vs Melbourne Preview and Prediction
John Worsfold’s side has been really poor, particularly in the previous two weeks against Geelong and Port Adelaide. Whilst, Melbourne has to win this match if they are any chance of playing finals in 2020.
Despite a promising start against the Power, the Bombers were outclassed after quarter-time being unable to control Port Adelaide’s scoring power in the wet.
Essendon’s problem for many years has been their inconsistency, and again in 2020, it was the problem. After starting the season with four wins from their first five games, they only went on to win two of their next 11 matches.
A positive aspect of St Kilda’s this season has been their use of the ruck duo of Paddy Ryder and Rowan Marshall, I believe against a weaker GWS ruck calibre, they can dominate.
Zach Merrett was admirable in defeat, finishing the match with 24 disposals, five tackles and five clearances.
Melbourne kept their finals chances alive with a narrow triumph over finals contenders GWS.
The Demons will have to be mature in making the most out of the momentum they have in the match due to Essendon’s unpredictability and being able to score heavily at times, which was showcased against the Hawks.
It will be an interesting midfield battle on Saturday, and if Melbourne can be extremely physical in that area of the ground, I believe it could go a long way in them coming out on top.
I am eager to see how young star will manage against Max Gawn, who finished the match with 15 disposals, 44 hit-outs, eight clearances and four score involvements.
This is a tough match to predict due to both teams’ inconsistencies this season, but I believe Melbourne will get the four points in a tight contest.
Essendon vs Melbourne Team News
Essendon could have many players return to the line-up for their clash against the Demons, with Michael Hurley, Jayden Laverde, Aaron Francis and Cale Hooker all obvious inclusions.
Similarly, Melbourne will have Luke Jackson, James Harmes, Marty Hore and Michael Hibberd are available after returning from injuries.
The two sides last met last season which saw Essendon defeat the Demons by 18 points.
Bombers vs Demons Stats
- Melbourne have been behind at half time against Essendon in the last four H2H’s
- The last time Essendon lost four matches in a row, was in 2018
- The Bombers have scored less than 50 points in four of their past nine matches
- Max Gawn leads the competition in average hit-outs this season
Bombers vs Demons Best Bet