The Cats take on the first place Power to kick off the first week of final’s football in 2020.
Port Adelaide Power vs Geelong Cats free AFL tips, predictions and preview – The Power have lost just one match at Adelaide Oval this season.
Port Adelaide vs Geelong Tips
Port Adelaide vs Geelong Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Thursday October 1
⏰ Time: 7:40pm AEST
🏟 Stadium: Adelaide Oval
Port Adelaide vs Geelong 2020 Form
Port Adelaide (WWWW)
- R14: Port Adelaide 73-47 Sydney
- R15: BYE
- R16: North Melbourne 42-78 Port Adelaide
- R17: Port Adelaide 79-29 Essendon
- R18: Collingwood 45-61 Port Adelaide
- R14: Western Bulldogs 61-72 Geelong
- R15: BYE
- R16: Geelong 108-42 Essendon
- R17: Geelong 31-57 Richmond
- R18: Sydney 63-69 Geelong
Port Adelaide vs Geelong Head to Head (last five matches)
Geelong have won 15 of the last 17 matches against the Power.
- R12 2020: Geelong 91-31 Port Adelaide
- R14 2019: Port Adelaide 67-56 Geelong
- R5 2018: Port Adelaide 50-84 Geelong
- R10 2017: Geelong 81-79 Port Adelaide
- R5 2016: Port Adelaide 59-107 Geelong
Port Adelaide vs Geelong Preview and Prediction
Both sides finished their home and away seasons with victories over Collingwood and Sydney respectively.
In a finals-like matchup, the Power out gritted the Magpies to run out 16-point victors. The Power dominated the middle of the ground, having 10 more clearances and centre clearances against an undermanned Magpies midfield.
They will have to repeat their midfield dominance against the Cats for a chance of a triumph.
Tom Rockliff has been the best Power of recent, he finished the match against Collingwood with 30 disposals, 10 clearances, six centre clearances and a goal in a workmanlike performance.
In the meeting between these sides earlier in the season, Geelong dominated the Power by 10 goals thanks to a Geelong midfield masterclass. The Power struggled to contain the physicality of Tom Hawkins as he finished with six goals.
Port Adelaide struggled to create anything meaningful going forward, only taking two marks inside 50, juxtaposed to the Cats 18.
The Swans almost overcame the Cats in an entertaining nine-point contest.
Geelong struggled to get out of the gates against Sydney, but it was still an important result in terms of confidence heading into a tough finals campaign.
Starlet, Patrick Dangerfield, led from the front to steer the Cats over the line against the Swans, finishing the match 14 disposals, six intercepts, six score involvements and three goals.
Hawkins won his first Coleman medal, whilst, Charlie Dixon finished second, and I believe whichever forward can have a bigger impact on Thursday will go a long way in their team winning.
Although the Power finished the home and away season on top of the ladder, I believe Geelong have the attacking prowess to outscore the Power.
Port Adelaide vs Geelong Team News
The Power will have plenty of options as they head into the match against the Cats, with Zak Butters, Tom Clurey and Ryan Burton ready and eager to return to the side.
Geelong go into Thursday night with a full-strength squad, with Rhys Stanley and Tom Atkins available for selection.
The two sides last met in Round 12 which saw Geelong defeat the Power by 60 points.
Power vs Cats Stats
- The last eight H2H’s have resulted in ‘under’ total points
- The H2H score at Adelaide Oval is 3-2 in Geelong’s favour
- Port Adelaide are the second-best scoring team this season, as well as the best defensive team this season
- The Power have lost just one match at Adelaide Oval this season
- Geelong have won 15 of the last 17 matches against the Power
Power vs Cats Best Bet