The match of Round 17 sees the battle of the felines take place at Metricon Stadium.
Geelong Cats vs Richmond Tigers free AFL tips, predictions and preview – Tom Hawkins has been the leading goalkicker in 10 of Geelong’s 15 games this season.
Geelong vs Richmond Tips
Geelong vs Richmond Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Friday September 11
⏰ Time: 7:50pm AEST
🏟 Stadium: Metricon Stadium
Geelong vs Richmond 2020 Form
- R12: Geelong 91-31 Port Adelaide
- R13: Adelaide 37-65 Geelong
- R14: Western Bulldogs 61-72 Geelong
- R15: BYE
- R16: Geelong 108-42 Essendon
- R12: Richmond 53-32 Gold Coast
- R13: Essendon 61-73 Richmond
- R14: Richmond 88-61 West Coast
- R15: Richmond 56-29 Fremantle
- R16: BYE
Geelong vs Richmond Head to Head (last five matches)
Richmond have won four of the last five matches against the Cats.
- PF 2019: Richmond 70-88 Geelong
- R12 2019: Richmond 101-88 Geelong
- R20 2018: Richmond 103-95 Geelong
- R13 2018: Geelong 116-97 Richmond
- QF 2017: Geelong 132-29 Richmond
Geelong vs Richmond Preview and Prediction
Geelong cruised past the spiritless Bombers last time out. Whilst, Richmond enjoyed a break after their hard slog over the Dockers.
The Cats demolished the Bombers in every facet of the game, their efficiency going forward was particularly pleasing as it gave them a healthy percentage boost in terms of the top four race.
Geelong’s midfield depth will threaten the Tigers, who are missing some star names in the midfield. Geelong finished the match against Essendon with nine more clearances and 70 more possessions.
Sam Menegola was superb for the Cats, finishing the match against the Bombers with 30 disposals, 11 score involvements, eight clearances and two goals.
Meanwhile, the Tigers were threatened by the Dockers throughout stages of the match last time out but stayed resilient in their 27-point triumph.
It’s an important match for Richmond to get the four points in terms of finishing in the crucial top four, with West Coast hunting them down in fifth place.
A key matchup for the Tigers will be whether they choose to put emerging star Noah Balta on experienced goalkicker Tom Hawkins, who is fresh off four goals against the Bombers.
Nick Vlastuin was the best Tiger on against Fremantle, finishing the match with 17 disposals, nine intercepts and eight marks.
Both sides head into this one the form teams of the competition, and I believe with the benefit of an extended break, the Tigers could triumph.
Geelong vs Richmond Team News
Geelong will still be without skipper Joel Selwood and Rhys Stanley due to injury, but Zach Touhy will return to the side following his late out against the Bombers.
Richmond will likely have Dylan Grimes and Kane Lambert available for the clash against the Cats, whilst, Josh Caddy and Shane Edwards will definitely play in Round 18.
The two sides last met in the preliminary final last season which saw Richmond defeat the Cats by 19 points.
Cats vs Tigers Stats
- Tom Hawkins has been the leading goalkicker in 10 of Geelong’s 15 games this season
- The last time Richmond kicked 100 points against the Cats was in 2006
- Seven of the last eight H2H’s have been decided by less than 20 points
- Tom Hawkins leads the competition in goals this season
Cats vs Tigers Best Bet