The Power will be looking to finish the season strong against an Essendon outfit that have all but blew their finals hopes after getting torn apart against the Cats.
Port Adelaide Power vs Essendon Bombers free AFL tips, predictions and preview – Port Adelaide last finished the season on top of the ladder in 2004, the year they won their only premiership.
Port Adelaide vs Essendon Tips
Port Adelaide vs Essendon Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Saturday September 12
⏰ Time: 5:05pm AEST
🏟 Stadium: Adelaide Oval
Port Adelaide vs Essendon 2020 Form
Port Adelaide (LWWW)
- R12: Geelong 91-31 Port Adelaide
- R13: Port Adelaide 68-58 Hawthorn
- R14: Port Adelaide 73-47 Sydney
- R15: BYE
- R16: North Melbourne 42-78 Port Adelaide
- R12: St Kilda 68-33 Essendon
- R13: Essendon 61-73 Richmond
- R14: Hawthorn 71-87 Essendon
- R15: West Coast 60-45 Essendon
- R16: Geelong 108-42 Essendon
Port Adelaide vs Essendon Head to Head (last five matches)
Essendon have won three of the last five matches against the Power.
- R20 2019: Essendon 67-126 Port Adelaide
- R23 2018: Port Adelaide 89-111 Essendon
- R4 2018: Essendon 106-84 Port Adelaide
- R12 2017: Essendon 131-61 Port Adelaide
- R3 2016: Port Adelaide 112-51 Essendon
Port Adelaide vs Essendon Preview and Prediction
The Power cruised their way to a victory against the hapless Kangaroos to maintain top spot on the ladder. Whilst, the Bombers were dreadful in their heavy defeat against the in-form Cats.
Port Adelaide have gone closer to winning the 2020 minor premiership with their workmanlike performance over North Melbourne, their forward half pressure was a particular highlight, laying 14 tackles inside 50.
The Power will look to repeat their midfield domination against the Bombers, who despite being poor last week, have been exceptional in that area of the ground all season.
Travis Boak dominated in the midfield, finishing the match with 34 disposals, nine clearances, eight score involvements and a goal.
Meanwhile, Essendon was abysmal in every area of their Round 16 contest.
The Bombers were outclassed in the first half, providing no pressure on the Cats and getting obliterated in the midfield.
Essendon hasn’t won the first quarter since Round 2 against the Swans.
The Bombers simply must tighten up defensively against the Power, after they let Geelong have six scoring shots from their first six inside 50’s.
Zach Merrett was the best for the Bombers on a dull day, finishing the match with 24 disposals, six clearances and five score involvements.
The midfield battle will be one to keep a close eye on, with both teams possessing dangerous ball users.
It’s Port Adelaide’s game to lose, and they should win this one comfortably.
Port Adelaide vs Essendon Team News
The Power will be without Ryan Burton and Zak Butters this weekend, Brad Ebert and Justin Westhoff are on the verge of coming back into the side, whilst, Peter Ladhams is available for selection after serving his suspension.
The Bombers could see Jayden Laverde, Aaron Francis, Tom Bellchambers and Joe Daniher return to the side after recovering from their injuries.
Irving Mosquito will be out until late next season after rupturing his ACL against the Cats and Conor Mckenna will not feature for the Bombers again after announcing his immediate retirement earlier in the week.
The two sides last met last season which saw Port Adelaide demolish the Bombers by 59 points.
Power vs Bombers Stats
- A team has scored over 100 points in nine of the last 10 H2H’s
- Port Adelaide have won five of their six home matches this season
- Essendon hasn’t won a first quarter since Round 2
- Essendon have won eight of the last 11 H2H’s
- Port Adelaide last finished the season on top of the ladder in 2004, the year they won their only premiership
- The Bombers have won their last four matches at Adelaide Oval
Power vs Bombers Best Bet