Essendon face the spirited Blues after their 13-day break after the shock announcement of Conor McKenna’s positive COVID-19 test last week.
Essendon Bombers vs Carlton Blues free AFL tips, predictions and preview – The home team has won the last six matches between these two sides.
Essendon vs Carlton Tips
Essendon vs Carlton Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Saturday June 27
⏰ Time: 7:40pm AEST
🏟 Stadium: MCG
Essendon vs Carlton 2020 Form
- R1: Essendon 63-57 Fremantle
- R2: Sydney 73-79 Essendon
- R3: N/A
- R1: Richmond 105-81 Carlton
- R2: Carlton 53-54 Melbourne
- R3: Geelong 77-79 Carlton
Essendon vs Carlton Head to Head (last five matches)
Carlton have won three of the last 10 matches against Essendon.
- R11 2019: Essendon 74-33 Carlton
- R8 2018: Carlton 91-78 Essendon
- R20 2017: Essendon 84-76 Carlton
- R3 2017: Carlton 57-42 Essendon
- R23 2016: Essendon 103-79 Carlton
Essendon vs Carlton Preview and Prediction
Carlton faces Essendon in its traditional rivalry under weird circumstances, after Essendon was surprised with the positive COVID-19 test of Conor McKenna last week.
Whilst Essendon had a 13-day break in between games, they have had less training than Carlton after resuming training on Wednesday this week.
Although last week was a difficult time for Essendon and McKenna, the break now means that Orazio Fantasia is fully fit and will return to face the Blues, an extra threat up forward which could prove deadly.
Meanwhile, Carlton put in a terrific performance against the Cats which saw them win their first game of the season.
Although the Blues controlled majority of the match, they conceded nine scoring shots in that final term which almost proved costly.
The Cats won more clearances on that night, but the Blues dominated the influence in the midfield, with the help of Patrick Cripps and recruit Jack Martin.
Cripps once again led the line for the Blues finishing the match against Geelong with 24 disposals, 12 clearances and two goals.
Although Carlton had a surprise win against the Cats last week, I believe Essendon will prove too strong and win the match.
Essendon vs Carlton Team News
Essendon name two changes with Martin Gleeson and Orazio Fantasia coming into the side for Matt Guelfi and the injured captain Dyson Heppell.
The Blues only name the one change to the side that beat Geelong last week with Sam Philp making his debut for the injured Harry McKay.
These sides last met in Round 11 last season which saw the Bombers cruise past the Blues by 41 points.
Bombers vs Blues Stats
- The home side has won the last six matches between these two sides
- Carlton have won three of the last 10 matches against Essendon.
- Carlton have won three of the last 20 at the MCG
- The Blues are ranked last in the competition for tackles
- Essendon are ranked third in the competition for average disposals per match
Bombers vs Blues Best Bet