The Group 1 Schweppes Oaks (2000m) will be run at Morphettville on Saturday, May 2 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Schweppes Oaks Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Schweppes Oaks:
1. FASCINO (NZ) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – TBA (16) 56kg
2. NUDGE Chris Waller – Todd Pannell (11) 56kg
3. MOONLIGHT MAID Mitchell Freedman – Zac Spain (12) 56kg
4. ASIAGO James Cummings – TBA (17) 56kg
5. VEGAS JEWEL (NZ) Mark Kavanagh – Jason Holder (4) 56kg
6. LA FALAISE Henry Dwyer – Ms Georgina Cartwright (a) (8) 56kg
7. BETCHA FLYING Chris Waller – Dom Tourneur (13) 56kg
8. WINGS OF PASTRAMI Jeff Searle – Jake Toeroek (2) 56kg
9. TOFFEE TONGUE (NZ) Chris Waller – Damien Thornton (3) 56kg
10. SILENT SOVEREIGN Tony & Calvin McEvoy – Barend Vorster (6) 56kg
11. SELICA (NZ) Phillip Stokes – Ms Kayla Crowther (a) (15) 56kg
12. BEAUTY BOLT Grahame Begg – Dean Holland (1) 56kg
13. SIERRA SUE (NZ) Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young – Ethan Brown (20) 56kg
14. AFFAIR TO REMEMBER Dan O’Sullivan – John Allen (5) 56kg
15. ZAYYDANI (NZ) David & B Hayes & T Dabernig – Paul Gatt (7) 56kg
16. WALKING FLYING (NZ) David & B Hayes & T Dabernig – Ryan Hurdle (14) 56kg
17e. NOVEMBER DREAMING Danny O’Brien – TBA (10) 56kg
18e. DON’TTELLTHEBOSS Robbie Griffiths – TBA (19) 56kg
19e. REALM OF FLOWERS Anthony Freedman – TBA (9) 56kg
20e. MISS HARRIETTE Shane Nichols – TBA (18) 56kg
Schweppes Oaks Odds
Affair To Remember is the favourite for Saturday’s Schweppes Oaks with TAB.
Affair To Remember $4.60
Toffee Tongue $7.00
Betcha Flying $8.00
Vegas Jewel $11
Silent Sovereign $11
Moonlight Maid $13
Wings Of Pastrami $15
Sierra Sue $15
November Dreaming $15
Beauty Bolt $17
Walking Flying $17
La Falaise $26
Realm Of Flowers $26
Miss Harriette $51
Schweppes Oaks Tips
TOFFEE TONGUE was runner-up in two maiden races over 1550 at Kensington before stepping up to 2000m in the Adrian Knox Stakes where she finished 2nd to Colette.
She then went into the Group 1 Australian Oaks as a maiden and was again runner-up to Colette.
Her performance in the Adrian Knox rated 11.2 lengths quicker than standard BM and that is the highest PB figure of any runner heading into Saturday’s Group 1 feature.
Last start she went 6.1 lengths quicker than BM, and that is the strongest last start BM figure of any runner in engaged in the Oaks.
Toffee Tongue has drawn barrier 3 in a race that lacks any serious early speed.
Other than Sierra Sue who rates as a front runner, everything else falls into the Midfield/Backmarker to Backmarker category, and with fitness on her side, I can see Toffee Tongue trying to hold a spot just behind the speed.
WALKING FLYING has form around Affair To Remember and clocked some slick sectionals last start charging home from the rear in the Group 3 Auraria Stakes (1800m) to finish 3rd.
At $41 Walking Flying looms as the best roughie in the race, but Toffee Tongue goes on to in my 2020 Schweppes Australasian Oaks Tips.