The Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) will be run at Morphettville on Saturday, May 2 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Robert Sangster Stakes Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Robert Sangster Stakes:
1. SUNLIGHT Tony & Calvin McEvoy – Barend Vorster (16) 56.5kg
2. I AM EXCITED David Pfieffer – Dom Tourneur (5) 56.5kg
3. SAVATIANO James Cummings – Jason Holder (9) 56.5kg
4. MADAM ROUGE Chris Waller – TBA (10) 56.5kg
5. TELEPLAY Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) Shayne Cahill (2) 56.5kg
6. BAM’S ON FIRE Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Jake Toeroek (6) 56.5kg
7. SPANISH WHISPER David & B Hayes & T Dabernig – Ethan Brown (15) 56.5kg
8. HUMMA HUMMA John McArdle – TBA (11) 56.5kg
9. EMBRACE ME (NZ) Danny O’Brien – John Allen (17) 56.5kg
10. BELLA VELLA Will Clarken – Todd Pannell (13) 56.5kg
11. AMBERDI Sue Jaensch – Paul Gatt (8) 56.5kg
12. EVERYDAY LADY Will Clarken – TBA (18) 56.5kg
13. STREET ICON Kevin Corstens – Ryan Hurdle (3) 56.5kg
14. BEAUTIFUL FLYER Mick Kluske – Justin Potter (14) 56.5kg
15. LYRE Anthony Freedman – Damien Thornton (12) 55kg
16. AWAY GAME Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Dean Holland (4) 47kg
17e. MYSTERY LOVE Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) – Zac Spain (7) 56.5kg
18e. KENYAN WONDER Ryan Balfour – Caitlin Jones (a) (1) 56.5kg
Robert Sangster Odds
Sunlight is the favourite ahead of two-year-old Away Game with BetEasy.
Away Game $6.00
I Am Excited $11
Humma Humma $12
Bam’s On Fire $15
Bella Vella $17
Madam Rouge $21
Spanish Whisper $26
Mystery Love $26
Embrace Me $31
Street Icon $51
Beautiful Flyer $51
Everyday Lady $101
Kenyan Wonder $101
Robert Sangster Tips
I’m siding with Away Game for the following reasons:
1. She maps to run her own race.
2. She won on a Heavy track last start.
3. Lightly weighted horses have the biggest advantage when they are on-pace types.
4. She’s in the right stable and tries her heart out every time.
5. Her BM figures combined with the weight drop make her the one to beat.
Away Game ran a personal best BM figure when runner-up to Farnan in the Golden Slipper (1200m) where she went 9.7 lengths quicker than BM on a Soft 5 at Rosehill.
That figure rated seven lengths below I Am Excited who carried 53kg to win The Galaxy (1100m) in the following event.
However, Last start, Away Game’s win in the Percy Sykes Stakes (1200m) at Randwick rated on par with I Am Excited who was 5th in the Sapphire Stakes (1200m) after covering ground in the run.
Away Game now drops 9kg on that run and I Am Excited drops 2.5kg, and with the map likely to favour Away Game, I can’t have I Am Excited in front of the two-year-old.
If the Mick Price and Michael Kent Jrn-trained Mystery Love gets a run as first emergency, I think she could surprise.
She ran the highest rating BM performance from the 600m last start going 12.4 lengths quicker than BM.
She improved her BM performance by 14 lengths when second-up last campaign off a three-week break, and a similar break should see her improve again.