The Group 1 The Goodwood (1200m) will be run at Morphettville on Saturday, May 16 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
The Goodwood Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for The Goodwood:
1. SANTA ANA LANE Anthony Freedman – Damien Thornton (10) 59kg
2. TREKKING James Cummings – John Allen (6) 58.5kg
3. GYTRASH Gordon Richards – Jason Holder (12) 58.5kg
4. SUNLIGHT Tony & Calvin McEvoy – Barend Vorster (3) 57kg
5. ZOUTORI Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra – Lachlan Neindorf (a) (11) 57kg
6. JUNGLE EDGE Mick Bell – Ms Georgina Cartwright (a) (13) 56kg
7. THE INEVITABLE Patrick Payne – Dean Holland (15) 56kg
8. ORDER OF COMMAND Danny O’Brien – Ethan Brown (2) 55.5kg
9. BEHEMOTH David Jolly – Todd Pannell (7) 54.5kg
10. BOLD STAR Gordon Richards Ms – Kayla Crowther (a) (4) 54.5kg
11. LYRE Anthony Freedman – Zac Spain (8) 54kg
12. XILONG Tony & Calvin McEvoy – Paul Gatt (1) 53.5kg
13. FREE OF DEBT Chris Bieg – TBA (14) 53kg
14. AMBERDI Sue Jaensch – Ms Emily Finnegan (9) 52.5kg
15. LI’L KONTRA Ryan Balfour – TBA (5) 52kg
The Goodwood Odds
Gytrash is the favourite for The Goodwood with Ladbrokes.
1. SANTA ANA LANE $7
2. TREKKING $7.50
3. GYTRASH $3.50
4. SUNLIGHT $9
5. ZOUTORI $20
6. JUNGLE EDGE $21
7. THE INEVITABLE $7
8. ORDER OF COMMAND $14
9. BEHEMOTH $14
10. BOLD STAR $41
11. LYRE $14
12. XILONG $17
13. FREE OF DEBT $81
14. AMBERDI $91
15. LI’L KONTRA $81
The Goodwood Tips
The giant horse, Behemoth, maps to get the perfect trail three or four pairs back and one off the fence.
He improves his BM rating by many lengths second-up into each preparation, so there’s no reason to think he won’t improve with that first-up run under the belt.
The David Jolly-trained son of All Too Hard was runner-up to Despatch in this race last year when coming off a 7th placing behind Valour Road and subsequent All Aged Stakes winner Tofane.
The BM ratings suggest this was his best first-up run by a long way, and if he takes his usual second-up improvement, he’ll be finishing hard.
Being such a big horse whose excessive weight really sinks him into the ground on Soft tracks, he should also appreciate getting back onto a firmer surface on Saturday.
A tough race in all, but Behemoth ticks a lot of boxes and represent value at his current price of $14.