The Group 1 William Reid Stakes (1200m) will be run at The Valley on Friday, March 20 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
William Reid Stakes Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the William Reid Stakes:
1. SCALES OF JUSTICE Lindsey Smith – Dean Yendall (3) 58.5kg
2. ROCK MAGIC Chris Gangemi – Michael Dee (11) 58.5kg
3. GYTRASH Gordon Richards – Mark Zahra (4) 58.5kg
4. VITAL SILVER Daniel & Ben Pearce – Jye McNeil (9) 58.5kg
5. ZOUTORI Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra – Damian Lane (2) 58.5kg
6. MYSTIC JOURNEY Adam Trinder – Anthony Darmanin (6) 56.5kg
7. PIPPIE John & Chris Meagher – Ben Melham (10) 56.5kg
8. EMBRACE ME (NZ) Danny O’Brien – Damien Oliver (7) 56.5kg
9. BIVOUAC James Cummings – Hugh Bowman (1) 56kg
10. EXCEEDANCE Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes – TBA (8) 56kg
11. LOVING GABY Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Craig Williams (5) 54kg
William Reid Stakes Odds
Newmarket Handicap winner Bivouac is favourite with Ladbrokes.
Loving Gaby $5.00
Scales Of Justice $9.50
Mystic Journey $15
Vital Silver $18
Embrace Me $41
Rock Magic $67
William Reid Stakes Tips
Pippie went very, very fast early in the Oakleigh Plate when winning last start, and with likely upside, she’s the one I want to be on here.
The daughter of Written Tycoon went a sizzling 12.2 lengths quicker than BM to the 600m, and if she goes that quick again, nothing will match her early speed.
Despite being first-up and going so quick early, as well as appearing to tire late, Pippie still went 3.3 lengths quicker than BM for her final 600m and recorded an overall figure of 15.5 lengths quicker than BM which is the highest last start figure in the William Reid.
If she improves second-up as she’s done in the past, she potentially goes past Mystic Journey’s PB while also coming close to Scales Of Justice’s best.
Pippie also has to carry 4.5kg more on Friday night but I’m not putting a great emphasis on weight in a sprint.
Scales Of Justice looks like getting the gun run right behind the speed here and he could be the one to challenge late.
And of course, if Bivouac does get clear with a gem of a ride, could make them all look silly.