The Group 1 Champagne Stakes (1600m) will be run at Royal Randwick on Saturday, April 18 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Champagne Stakes Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Champagne Stakes:
1. KING’S LEGACY Peter & Paul Snowden – Hugh Bowman (3) 56.5kg
2. GLENFIDDICH Robbie Griffiths – Tommy Berry (7) 56.5kg
3. AIM Peter & Paul Snowden – Kerrin McEvoy (4) 56.5kg
4. HOLYFIELD Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Tom Marquand (5) 56.5kg
5. UNTAMED Peter & Paul Snowden – Nash Rawiller (2) 56.5kg
6. OLE KIRK Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes – James McDonald (8) 56.5kg
7. NOT AN OPTION Tony Pike – Opie Bosson (10) 56.5kg
8. PHILIZZY Anthony Cummings – Brenton Avdulla (9) 54.5kg
9. FAYERRA Anthony Cummings – Jason Collett (1) 54.5kg
10. MANDALONG BEYOND Mitchell & Desiree Kearney – James Innes Jnr (6) 54.5kg
Champagne Stakes Odds
King’s Legacy is favourite ahead of Ole Kirk at Sportsbet.
King’s Legacy $2.35
Ole Kirk $3.80
Not An Option $16
Mandalong Beyond $201
Champagne Stakes Preview
It’s hard to go past King’s Legacy on what he did last start, but I’m sticking with Ole Kirk who I tipped in the Sires’ where he ran 4th beaten 1.9 lengths. Here is my Champagne Stakes preview for 2020.
He didn’t show the same turn of foot that he showed in two previous starts, and I think this was due to the rain-affected surface.
Ole Kirk has also had two runs over 1400m which gives him a fitness advantage over most of these.
He clearly should have won the VRC Sires’ two starts back when held up for a run, and he finished in front of Holyfield who then defeated Untamed who then won last start.
All this form leads back to the Inglis Sires’ being the strongest form race, and I’d be surprised if the winner came outside of Ole Kirk or King’s Legacy.
King’s Legacy was also specifically set for the Sires’, and it will be a brilliant training performance to get him up for two grand finals while Ole Kirk has always raced like a Champagne Stakes horse and gets his chance on Saturday.