The Group 1 Doncaster Mile (1600m) will be run at Royal Randwick on Saturday, April 4 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Doncaster Mile Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Doncaster Mile:
1. MELODY BELLE (NZ) Jamie Richards – Opie Bosson (14) 57kg
2. KOLDING (NZ) Chris Waller – Hugh Bowman (17) 57kg
3. HOMESMAN (USA) Anthony Freedman – Nash Rawiller (22) 56.5kg
4. KINGS WILL DREAM (IRE) Chris Waller – Joshua Parr (8) 56.5kg
5. MISTER SEA WOLF (IRE) Chris Waller – James McDonald (9) 56kg
6. BEST OF DAYS (GB) James Cummings – TBA (21) 55.5kg
7. MR QUICKIE Phillip Stokes – Glyn Schofield (23) 55kg
8. SUPER SETH Anthony Freedman – Robbie Dolan (a) (2) 55kg
9. YULONG PRINCE (SAF) Chris Waller – Brenton Avdulla (6) 54.5kg
10. CASCADIAN (GB) James Cummings – TBA (18) 54kg
11. CON TE PARTIRO (USA) Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott – Tim Clark (13) 53.5kg
12. IMAGING (GB) Chris Waller – Kerrin McEvoy (20) 53.5kg
13. QUACKERJACK Mark Newnham – Ms Rachel King (1) 53.5kg
14. STAR OF THE SEAS (NZ) Chris Waller – Sam Clipperton (16) 53kg
15. TALLY James Cummings – TBA (24) 53kg
16. NIGHT’S WATCH (NZ) Chris Waller – TBA (19) 53kg
17. SHARED AMBITION (IRE) Chris Waller – Jay Ford (4) 52.5kg
18. NETTOYER Wendy Roche – TBA (10) 51.5kg
19. BRANDENBURG (NZ) John Sargent – Glen Boss (7) 50.5kg
20. PRINCE FAWAZ Anthony Cummings – Jean Van Overmeire (a) (11) 50.5kg
21e. DR DRILL (GB) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – TBA (12) 51.5kg
22e. WOLFE (JPN) Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott – TBA (5) 51.5kg
23e. RELOADED Chris Waller – TBA (15) 50.5kg
24e. RAINBOW THIEF (NZ) Michael Moroney – TBA (3) 51.5kg
Doncaster Mile Odds
Brandenburg is the favourite in a wide open Doncaster Mile market with BetEasy.
Melody Belle $8.00
Super Seth $8.00
Shared Ambition $10
Mister Sea Wolf $15
Prince Fawaz $15
Kings Will Dream $26
Mr Quickie $26
Yulong Prince $26
Night’s Watch $26
Con Te Partiro $31
Star Of The Seas $41
Best Of Days $61
Rainbow Thief $101
Dr Drill $201
Doncaster Mile Tips
The Kiwi mare MELODY BELLE is the one that ticks all these boxes.
She has a personal best BM performance of 14.8 lengths quicker than standard when winning the Empire Rose Stakes (2000m) at Flemington on a Soft 7 last spring.
And these figures only take into account her handful of runs in Australia as my data doesn’t include BM ratings for NZ racing where she possibly could have posted stronger figures.
Only two horses (Best Of Days and Mr Quickie) have a higher rating personal best when going 17.7 and 15.9 lengths quicker than standard over a mile.
Neither of this pair have won on Heavy going, and that combined with a few other factors has me putting the pen through them.
Melody Belle’s last start BM figure of 14.8 lengths quicker than standard is the strongest last start figure in the Doncaster ahead of Kolding who comes out of the same race – the All-Star Mile.
Melody Belle was held up in the straight and should have clearly posted a stronger figure also.