The rich $3.5 million Golden Slipper (1200m) will be held at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, March 21 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Golden Slipper Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Golden Slipper:
1. TAGALOA Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young – Michael Walker (6) 56.5kg
2. HANSEATIC Anthony Freedman – Kerrin McEvoy (9) 56.5kg
3. FARNAN Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott – Hugh Bowman (14) 56.5kg
4. PRAGUE Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Tom Marquand (7) 56.5kg
5. KING’S LEGACY Peter & Paul Snowden – Damian Lane (2) 56.5kg
6. GLOBAL QUEST Chris Waller – Brenton Avdulla (15) 56.5kg
7. MAMARAGAN John Thompson – Nash Rawiller (1) 56.5kg
8. AWAY GAME Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Glen Boss (3) 54.5kg
9. DAME GISELLE Peter & Paul Snowden – Tim Clark (4) 54.5kg
10. SEE YOU SOON Jean Dubois – Jean Van Overmeire (a) (8) 54.5kg
11. MILDRED Grahame Begg – Jordan Childs (17) 54.5kg
12. PERSONAL David & B Hayes & T Dabernig – Craig Williams (19) 54.5kg
13. MUNTASEERA Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Michael Dee (18) 54.5kg
14. HUNGRY HEART Chris Waller – James McDonald (5) 54.5kg
15. CELLSABEEL Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Damien Oliver (12) 54.5kg
16. THERMOSPHERE James Cummings – Tommy Berry (10) 54.5kg
17e. RATHLIN Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – TBA (20) 56.5kg
18e. MINHAAJ David & B Hayes & T Dabernig – Daniel Stackhouse (13) 54.5kg
19e. TIME IS PRECIOUS Gerald Ryan – TBA (11) 54.5kg
20e. PHILIZZY Anthony Cummings – TBA (16) 54.5kg
Golden Slipper Odds
Wide open race with two favourites at $5.50 with BetEasy.
Dame Giselle $10
Away Game $14
See You Soon $14
Hungry Heart $15
King’s Legacy $41
Time Is Precious $81
Golden Slipper Tips
Farnan does look hard to beat and he’s by Not A Single Doubt so a Heavy track should suit.
Mamaragan has plenty of upside and could surprise here but I’m worried about a wet track for him with no wet-track breeding.
Away Game has the right form lines but is untried on rain-affected going, however, she’s by Snitzel and out of Elusive Wonder whose sire Elusive Quality produced outstanding Golden Slipper winner Sepoy.
Cellsabeel has the Heavy track form but can we excuse the fact she finished 6.5 lengths from Farnan on a Soft 7.
As far as the speed map goes, I think Farnan has to come across and lead from barrier 14, unless Away Game kicks up and holds the front.
Away Game showed the greatest early speed last start going 7.9 lengths quicker than standard to the 600m, and she may try and kick up and hold Farnan out.
However, I don’t think that’s Glen Boss’ style in a big race, and I can see him taking a sit right behind Farnan which should then give Away Game the run of the race.
She was caught four deep without cover in the Blue Diamond, and although she looked gone as she wobbled around the Caulfield bend, she surged again late to finish 1.3 lengths from Tagaloa.
I think she can improve again back on her Sydney leg, and Away Game is at the top of my Golden Slipper Tips for 2020.