Shadow Hero is among the field for the Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, March 21 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Rosehill Guineas Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Rosehill Guineas:
1. CASTELVECCHIO Richard Litt – Craig Williams (5) 56.5kg
2. SHADOW HERO Mark Newnham – Joshua Parr (8) 56.5kg
3. WARNING Anthony Freedman – Damien Oliver (1) 56.5kg
4. SHERWOOD FOREST Tony Pike – Michael Walker (13) 56.5kg
5. SCORPZ (NZ) Stephen Marsh – Opie Bosson (2) 56.5kg
6. PRINCE FAWAZ Anthony Cummings – Adam Hyeronimus (9) 56.5kg
7. RELOADED Chris Waller – James McDonald (3) 56.5kg
8. PANCHO Chris Waller – Tommy Berry (4) 56.5kg
9. THE HOLY ONE (NZ) Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young – Nash Rawiller (11) 56.5kg
10. CHENIER Anthony Freedman – Kerrin McEvoy (12) 56.5kg
11. CHAINS OF HONOUR Gerald Ryan – Mark Zahra (6) 56.5kg
12. GET THE IDEA John Sargent – Ms Rachel King (7) 56.5kg
13. IMPACTFUL Chris Waller – Brenton Avdulla (10) 56.5kg
Rosehill Guineas Odds
Randwick Guineas winner Shadow Hero is the favourite with Ladbrokes.
Shadow Hero $3.70
Sherwood Forest $9.50
The Holy One $16
Prince Fawaz $26
Chains of Honour $51
Get The Idea $101
Rosehill Guineas Tips
Saturday’s Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) looms as a Spring Champion Stakes rematch between Shadow Hero and Castelvecchio, but can another spoil the party?
Last campaign, Shadow Hero took out the Spring Champion Stakes from Castelvecchio, and that pair head the market for Saturday’s $600,000 feature.
Both will appreciate the step up in trip having finished 1st and 8th respectively in the Randwick Guineas (1600m), and both are deep enough into their preparations to be hitting top gear.
While the two obvious picks do look hard to beat, I’m looking elsewhere with another who will not only appreciate the step up in trip, but also has the form to be winning.
The Anthony Freedman-prepared Chenier really caught the eye when flashing home in the CS Hayes Stakes (1400m) to be beaten 1.1 lengths by Alligator Blood.
He was heavily supported in the Australian Guineas (1600m), and while his effort rated high finishing 3.4 lengths from Alligator Blood, he looked a bit dour and is crying out for 2000m.
Chenier is by Medaglia d’Oro who has the best breeding success with Zabeel mares (13 winners) – and Chenier’s dam, Zydeco, who is by Zabeel, was a Wakeful Stakes (2000m) winner and runner-up in the VRC Oaks (2500m).
On breeding and judging by the way Chenier hit the line in the Australian Guineas, he can improve significantly over 2000m third-up, which is exactly what his dam did when third-up in the Wakeful for Lee and Anthony Freedman.
Chenier has run 10.5 and 10.2 lengths quicker than standard BM at his last two starts, and the strongest BM figures for any other Rosehill Guineas runner at their past two starts is 6.5 lengths quicker than standard.