The Group 1 Sydney Cup (3200m) will be held at Royal Randwick on Saturday, April 11 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Sydney Cup Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Sydney Cup:
1. MUSTAJEER (GB) Kris Lees – Nash Rawiller (4) 57.5kg
2. YOUNG RASCAL (FR) William Haggas – Tom Marquand (10) 56kg
3. HUSH WRITER (JPN) Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott – Tim Clark (8) 54.5kg
4. RAHEEN HOUSE (IRE) Kris Lees – Brenton Avdulla (3) 54kg
5. GALLIC CHIEFTAIN (FR) Archie Alexander – Jason Collett (7) 53.5kg
6. THE CHOSEN ONE (NZ) Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman – Kerrin McEvoy (6) 53.5kg
7. AZURO (FR) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Glyn Schofield (12) 53kg
8. YOGI (NZ) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Jean Van Overmeire (a) (2) 52.5kg
9. ANGEL OF TRUTH Gwenda Markwell – TBA (13) 52.5kg
10. ETAH JAMES (NZ) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Glen Boss (9) 51kg
11. SWEET THOMAS (GER) Matthew Smith – Ms Rachel King (11) 51kg
12. SAUNTER BOY (FR) Kris Lees – Jay Ford (5) 51kg
13. CORNCRAKE (GB) Matthew Smith – Ms Kathy O’Hara (1) 51kg
Sydney Cup Odds
Young Rascal is the clear favourite for the Sydney Cup with Ladbrokes.
Young Rascal $2.45
Raheen House $8.00
Gallic Chieftain $11
Angel Of Truth $11
The Chosen One $15
Hush Writer $26
Etah James $26
Saunter Bay $41
Sweet Thomas $81
Sydney Cup Tips
As far as BM ratings go, the Chairman’s Handicap (2600m) rates strongest with the winner, Raheen’s House, going 15.2 lengths quicker than standard.
Yogi was clearly the eye-catching run in that race as he only got clear in the final 150m and charged home with Nash Rawiller riding a kilo over and carrying 56kg instead of 55kg.
Yogi now meets Raheen’s House 1.5kg better at the weights, and we know Yogi will run a strong 3200m seeing his personal best was in the Sandown Cup where he went 20.6 lengths quicker than standard which is one of the strongest staying performances recorded.
Considering Yogi drops 4.5kg on that effort, he looks a weighted special heading into this race which is why I have him on top in my Sydney Cup tips.
Young Rascal looms as the main danger having defeated Mugatoo in the Manion Cup (2400m), but the question is, will the 3.5kg weight difference take its toll late?