Funstar is all the rage in Saturday's Group 1 Vinery Stud Stakes (2000m) at Royal Randwick on Saturday, March 28 and Bettingpro.com.au provides you with a comprehensive guide to the race.
Vinery Stud Stakes Final Field and Barrier Draw
The final field and barrier draw for the Vinery Stud Stakes:
1. FUNSTAR Chris Waller – James McDonald (8) 56kg
2. PROBABEEL (NZ) Jamie Richards – Kerrin McEvoy (6) 56kg
3. MISSILE MANTRA Peter & Paul Snowden – Brenton Avdulla (7) 56kg
4. FASCINO (NZ) Ciaron Maher & David Eustace – Tom Marquand (10) 56kg
5. ASIAGO James Cummings – Hugh Bowman (13) 56kg
6. SUBPOENAED (NZ) Chris Waller – Tommy Berry (5) 56kg
7. OF THORNS Kris Lees – TBA (3) 56kg
8. NUDGE Chris Waller – Nash Rawiller (1) 56kg
9. SHOUT THE BAR Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott – Adam Hyeronimus (4) 56kg
10. CONTRITION (NZ) Mick Price & Michael Kent (Jnr) – Sam Clipperton (11) 56kg
11. ASPECT RATIO John Sargent – Tim Clark (2) 56kg
12. LOVE ME QUIETLY John Ramsey – Robbie Dolan (a) (9) 56kg
13. STRANGE CHARM Anthony Cummings – Jean Van Overmeire (a) (12) 56kg
Vinery Stud Stakes Odds
Chris Waller’s Funstar is an odds-on favourite with Ladbrokes.
Missile Mantra $17
Game Of Thorns $26
Shout The Bar $26
Aspect Ratio $51
Strange Charm $151
Love Me Quietly $151
Vinery Stud Stakes Tips
Saturday’s Group 1 Vinery Stud Stakes at Rosehill sees heavyweights Funstar and Probabeel go head-to-head again as they step out to 2000m for the first time.
Funstar’s trainer, Chris Waller, is keen to see his filly get out to this trip, as is Jamie Richards who trains Probabeel.
The pair have clashed on four occasions, and while a fit Probabeel scored over Funstar when she was first-up in the Group 1 Surround Stakes (1400m), Funstar took a 3-1 lead in the head-to-head battle when winning the Phar Lap Stakes (1500m) last start.
Funstar was put out of her comfort zone second-up and led throughout which is not her usual racing pattern.
She proved too strong on the Heavy track and is likely to find another Heavy-rated surface as she strips fitter third-up and tackles 2000m.
As far as BM performance go, Funstar has gone 9.3 and 9.4 lengths quicker than standard BM in both runs this campaign.
This is the strongest last start figure of any runner in Saturday’s race, and Funstar has arguably more upside than any runner and she’s two from two on Heavy tracks.