The Lions will be looking win their second match of the season on Saturday night, when they face an in-form Essendon side who are keen to spoil the party at the Gabba.
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon Tips, Preview & Predictions
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon Bombers free AFL tips, predictions and preview – Brisbane has won 10 of their last 12 matches at the Gabba.
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon Tips
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon Same Game Multi Tips
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Saturday April 17
⏰ Time: 7:25pm AEDT
🏟 Stadium: Gabba
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon 2020 Form
- RD 1: Brisbane 94-125 Sydney
- RD 2: Geelong 81-80 Brisbane
- RD 3: Collingwood 72-73 Brisbane
- RD 4: Western Bulldogs 73-54 Brisbane
- RD 1: Essendon 91-92 Hawthorn
- RD 2: Port Adelaide 119-65 Essendon
- RD 3: Essendon 143-68 St Kilda
- RD 4: Sydney 83-80 Essendon
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon Head to Head (last five matches)
- R9 2020: Bombers 28-91 Lions
- R4 2019: Bombers 112-65 Lions
- R12 2018: Lions 62-84 Bombers
- R15 2017: Bombers 82-90 Lions
- R2 2017: Lions 84-111 Bombers
Brisbane Lions vs Essendon Preview
The Lions weren’t able to get the job done against the top of the table Bulldogs in Ballarat, losing by 19 points.
Brisbane have struggled with their off-the-ball work rate to start the season. Their inside 50 efficiency has been costly as a result, having one of the worst efficiencies in the competition, at 40.5%.
An area that the Lions would look to capitalise on is the tall targets in the forward half, due to the lack of tall defenders that the Bombers currently have available – Joe Daniher is set to face his former side for the first time.
Meanwhile, the Bombers suffered another heartbreaking loss to the Swans by three points.
Although Essendon fell to a narrow defeat, they will be pleased with the way they played despite getting dominated in the clearances. They laid the most tackles in a single quarter by any side since 2018.
Ben Rutten said that the Bombers will be playing blue-collar football this season and have proved that in the previous two weeks – Being the number one pressure side in the competition this season so far.
Although the Lions have been poor to start the season, I believe the home advantage will prove pivotal in. the Lions coming away with a much needed four points.
Lions vs Bombers Team News
Dan McStay could be a possible inclusion after recovering from his knee injury.
Essendon have been performing well of recent and will have no incentive to change the formula. However, Zach Reid has been announced to debut this week, whilst Mason Redman will be fit after his hamstring tightness against the Saints.
The two sides last met in Round 9 last season which saw the Lions win by 63 points.
Lions vs Bombers Stats
- Brisbane has won 10 of their last 12 matches at the Gabba
- Lachie Neale has had 30+ disposals in his last three matches against the Bombers
- Cale Hooker has kicked 3+ goals in his last three matches
- Daniel Rich has got 25+ disposals in his last three matches
- Hugh McCluggage has kicked at least one goal in his last four appearances
Lions vs Bombers Best Bet