Traditional rivals Essendon and Carlton battle it out on Sunday afternoon at the MCG, as they both search for their third wins of the season.
Essendon vs Carlton Tips, Preview & Predictions
Essendon Bombers vs Carlton Blues free AFL tips, predictions and preview – The home side has won six of the last seven meetings.
Essendon vs Carlton Tips
Essendon vs Carlton Same Game Multi Tips
Essendon vs Carlton Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Sunday May 1
⏰ Time: 3:20pm AEDT
🏟 Stadium: MCG
Essendon vs Carlton 2021 Form (last five matches)
- RD 2: Port Adelaide 119-65 Essendon
- RD 3: Essendon 143-68 St Kilda
- RD 4: Sydney 83-80 Essendon
- RD 5: Brisbane 102-45 Essendon
- RD 6: Collingwood 85-109 Essendon
- RD 2: Carlton 85-106 Collingwood
- RD 3: Carlton 109-64 Fremantle
- RD 4: Gold Coast 59-70 Carlton
- RD 5: Carlton 68-96 Port Adelaide
- RD 6: Carlton 85-103 Brisbane
Essendon vs Carlton Head to Head (last five matches)
- R4 2020: Bombers 51-52 Blues
- R11 2019: Bombers 74-33 Blues
- R8 2018: Blues 91-78 Bombers
- R20 2017: Bombers 84-76 Blues
- R3 2017: Blues 57-42 Bombers
Essendon vs Carlton Preview
The Bombers triumphed over the Magpies on ANZAC Day to push them into 12th position, one spot ahead of their rivals Carlton.
It was the constant Bomber pressure that proved too much for the Magpies, allowing them to control the tempo of the game. Back-to-back wins against traditional rivals will be huge for the young Bombers outfit if they can get up and win. Essendon has been the youngest side in the competition this season, with another debutant set to play on Sunday.
Ben Rutten said the Bombers will be playing blue-collar football at the start of the season, and they’ve been more disciplined than previous seasons, being the best tackling team in the competition. Against the Pies, they laid 21 tackles inside 50, the season average is 10.
Meanwhile, the Blues fell to back-to-back losses against the Lions in a three-goal defeat.
Carlton was wasteful in possession for the majority of the match, and if it wasn’t for a late surge, the margin could’ve been greater. David Teague’s side will look to control possession from the off, with their run off half back from former Bomber Adam Saad and Sam Petrevski-Seton, who were quiet against Brisbane.
The Blues forward line will be creative in the way they try and isolate Harry McKay. They have looked for him in most of their entries inside 50 and currently sits second In the Coleman race with 22 goals from six games, including a bag of six against the Lions last time out.
The possible injury to Aaron Francis will most likely see Jayden Laverde go to dangerous forward McKay. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher is also a strong candidate if he keeps his place in the side.
Although the Blues are favourites to win this tie, I wouldn’t count the Bombers out, who have proved themselves in recent weeks.
Bombers vs Blues Team News
Essendon will most likely make two changes for Sunday’s match, with young ruck Nick Bryan named to make his debut, whilst Jordan Ridley will return from concussion. Francis is a doubt with his ankle injury.
Will Setterfield performed well in the VFL and could be the only change that David Teague makes.
The two sides last met in Round 4 last season which saw the Blues win by one point.
Bombers vs Blues Stats
- The home side has won six of the last seven meetings
- Essendon are the number one pressure side in the competition
- The underdog has won four of the last six meetings
- Darcy Parish has had 25+ disposals in his last four matches
- Sam Walsh has had 29+ disposals in six of his last seven matches
Bombers vs Blues Best Bet