GWS returned to the winner’s circle last week with a triumph over the Crows, and they will look to make it two wins on the trot when they host the Bombers on Saturday.
GWS vs Essendon Tips, Preview & Predictions
GWS Giants vs Essendon Bombers free AFL tips, predictions and preview – Essendon have lost their previous seven interstate matches.
GWS vs Essendon Tips
GWS vs Essendon Same Game Multi Tips
GWS vs Essendon Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Saturday May 8
⏰ Time: 1:45pm AEDT
🏟 Stadium: GIANTS Stadium
GWS vs Essendon 2021 Form (last five matches)
- RD 3: GWS 68-102 Melbourne
- RD 4: Collingwood 60-90 GWS
- RD 5: Sydney 69-71 GWS
- RD 6: GWS 65-104 Western Bulldogs
- RD 7: Adelaide 39-106 GWS
- RD 3: Essendon 143-68 St Kilda
- RD 4: Sydney 83-80 Essendon
- RD 5: Brisbane 102-45 Essendon
- RD 6: Collingwood 85-109 Essendon
- RD 7: Essendon 107-123 Carlton
GWS vs Essendon Head to Head (last five matches)
- R10 2020: Bombers 55-59 Giants
- R15 2019: Bombers 77-71 Giants
- R1 2019: Giants 112-40 Bombers
- R10 2018: Giants 60-95 Bombers
- R11 2017: Giants 117-101 Bombers
GWS vs Essendon Preview
The Giants came away with their biggest win in two years after defeating the lacklustre Crows by 67 points.
GWS have improved since the start of the season, winning three of their previous five matches against Collingwood (30 points), Sydney (two points) and Adelaide (67 points).
The Bombers struggle with limiting tall forwards of the opposition, with Harry McKay kicking four last week. The Giants currently play with three talls, including Jesse Hogan, who kicked four majors in his club debut against the Crows.
Leon Cameron’s side dominated the middle of the ground against the Crows, having a clearance differential of 24. They will need to repeat that against the 15th placed clearance side Essendon.
Meanwhile, the Bombers weren’t able to beat traditional rivals in back-to-back weeks, suffering a 16-point loss at the hands of Carlton.
There’s a lot to look forward to for the Essendon faithful despite their loss to the Blues. Their endless array of young talent has been on display this season, with Nick Bryan the latest debutant impressing against the Blues. Nik Cox, Archie Perkins, Zach Reid and Harrison Jones have all made their debuts and have impressed in their first season.
Essendon has been the number one pressure side in the competition so far this season, averaging 71 tackles a game, seven more than any other side. The permanent move to put Cale Hooker has paid dividends, with the experienced Bomber kicking 21 goals in seven games, which sees him sit third in the Coleman rankings.
The Bombers have a terrible interstate record of recent, and I think the confidence of the Giants will pull them over the line in a tight contest. The Bombers will need to break a run of seven consecutive interstate losses if they win on Saturday afternoon.
Giants vs Bombers Team News
Jake Riccardi could return into the frame after having 40 disposals in the VFL, but don’t expect them to make many changes.
The Bombers will most likely have Aaron Francis available after missing last week with an ankle injury. He could replace James Stewart who found it tough going against Harry McKay.
The two sides last met in Round 10 last season which saw the Giants win by four points.
Giants vs Bombers Stats
- Essendon have lost their previous seven interstate matches
- The last two matches have been decided by 15 points or less
- Essendon has covered the line in five of the past six matches against the Giants
- Zach Merrett averages 30 disposals this season
- Jesse Hogan kicked four goals on club debut
Giants vs Bombers Best Bet