The Eagles face an intriguing challenge when they face a young and hungry Suns outfit that can only improve upon last season.
West Coast Eagles vs Gold Coast Suns free AFL tips, predictions and preview – The home side has won nine of the 11 meetings between these sides.
West Coast vs Gold Coast Tips
West Coast vs Gold Coast Same Game Multi Tip
West Coast vs Gold Coast Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Sunday March 21
⏰ Time: 6:10pm AEDT
🏟 Stadium: Optus Stadium
West Coast vs Gold Coast Head to Head (last five matches)
West Coast has won nine of the 11 meetings against Gold Coast.
- R2 2020: Gold Coast 90-46 West Coast
- R7 2019: West Coast 80-57 Gold Coast
- R4 2018: West Coast 139-59 Gold Coast
- R11 2017: Gold Coast 80-77 West Coast
- R10 2016: West Coast 132-55 Gold Coast
West Coast vs Gold Coast Preview and Prediction
West Coast will be hoping to return to the top four this season after missing out last season.
The Eagles have had no trouble performing at home in recent years. However, their away form has hurt them in the past and will need to improve upon that if they want to win their second flag in four seasons.
The Suns defence will have to keep a close eye on Josh Kennedy, who has dominated them in the past. Kennedy has kicked at least four goals in six of his last seven matches against the Suns.
Meanwhile, Gold Coast will just be looking to improve upon their eight wins which put them in 14th last year.
It’s an important season ahead for Gold Coast who will have Matt Rowell fully fit. It will still be another season or two before they contend for finals as their young stars gain valuable experience.
The Suns were solid in their practice match, with Stuart Dew most pleased with his sides ability to maintain possession and slow the game down, and it will be crucial in a hostile environment.
I believe the Eagles will win this match in one of the most entertaining games of the round.
Eagles vs Suns Team News
The Suns head into the match with a relatively unscathed injury list.
West Coast have confirmed Tim Kelly and Josh Kennedy will be available for Round 1, but Luke Shuey will miss with a hamstring strain.
The two sides last met in Round 2 last season which saw the Suns cause an upset by 44 points.
Eagles vs Suns Stats
- Gold Coast have lost 28 of their last 29 games as the underdog, the only exception being against West Coast last season
- Alex Sexton has kicked at least three goals in three of the Suns last four matches
- Josh Kennedy has kicked at least four goals in six of his last seven matches against the Suns
- The home side has won nine of the 11 meetings between these sides
Eagles vs Suns Best Bet