The 2021 season kicks off at the MCG on Thursday night with the traditional season opener between rivals Richmond and Carlton.
Richmond Tigers vs Carlton Blues free AFL tips, predictions and preview – Nine of the last 10 meetings has seen the Tigers win in the margin of 1-39.
Richmond vs Carlton Tips
Richmond vs Carlton Same Game Multi Tips
Richmond vs Carlton Match Details
🇦🇺 Competition: AFL
🗓 Date: Thursday March 18
⏰ Time: 7:25pm AEST
🏟 Stadium: MCG
Richmond vs Carlton 2020 Form
- R18: Adelaide 33-77 Richmond
- QF: Brisbane 69-54 Richmond
- SF: Richmond 80-49 St Kilda
- PF: Port Adelaide 40-46 Richmond
- GF: Richmond 81-50 Geelong
- R14: Carlton 48-72 Collingwood
- R15: GWS 48-39 Carlton
- R16: Carlton 57-52 Sydney
- R17: Carlton 56-72 Adelaide
- R18: Brisbane 78-61 Carlton
Richmond vs Carlton Head to Head (last five matches)
Richmond have won the last 10 matches against the Blues.
- R1 2020: Richmond 105-81 Carlton
- R21 2019: Richmond 73-45 Carlton
- R1 2019: Carlton 64-97 Richmond
- R1 2018: Richmond 121-95 Carlton
- R14 2017: Richmond 84-58 Carlton
Richmond vs Carlton Preview and Prediction
It’s felt like this season has been a long time coming but it’s finally back on Thursday night when these two Victorian heavyweights face each other in the opening game of the season.
The Tigers won their third premiership in four years last season, making them the most successful club since Hawthorn’s three-peat in 2013-15. They could accomplish the same feat if they win the premiership this season.
However, most recently, they faced Collingwood in the AAMI Community series in which they ran out one goal winners in an entertaining contest that saw them dominate the first half.
The midfield battle will be an interesting one, particularly between captains Trent Cotchin who historically plays well against the Blues and Patrick Cripps who will look to put his hand up for a Brownlow after his disappointing season last year.
Meanwhile, the Blues will be optimistic to compete for a finals position this season after a successful trade period that saw them bring in Zac Williams and Adam Saad on big-money deals.
The Blues showed some good signs in their practice match against St Kilda, kicking just shy of the elusive 100 points.
David Teague would be pleased with his side’s performance. However, they will need to tighten up defensively but with the inclusions of Saad and Williams at times, you can expect them to take time to blend into the system.
This has the makings to be the best season opener for many years, but I believe the Tigers will be hard to beat and will come away with the four points.
Tigers vs Blues Team News
Bachar Houli is most likely the only one in the Tigers best 22 to miss Round 1 with a calf injury, which means Tom Lynch and Dion Prestia are almost certainties to play Round 1.
The Blues should have Harry McKay, Jacob Weitering and Jack Newnes available for Thursday. However, Zac Williams Carlton debut will be delayed for a week after he was suspended in the AAMI Community series.
The two sides last met in Round 1 last season which saw Richmond defeat the Blues by 24 points.
Tigers vs Blues Stats
- Richmond have won the last 10 meetings
- Nine of the last 10 meetings has seen the Tigers win in the margin of 1-39
- Carlton has covered the line in five of its last six night-matches
- The Tigers averaged the most inside 50’s last season
- Nine of Carlton’s last 10 season openers have gone over the total match points
Tigers vs Blues Best Bet